More About Qigong and Yoga
Qigong is an amazing practice for health, healing and inspiration. It is an ancient art of self-healing that has been used for thousands of years in China to both prevent and heal disease. Qigong is a series of flowing and repeated movements, stretches and breathing exercises that are very easy to learn and have a profound effect. It is one of the oldest systems of energy medicine that has been proven over thousands of years to heal illness, reduce stress, slow the effects of aging and achieve longevity. The best part is that you’ll feel the benefits right away – you will be energized and relaxed at the same time. Wear loose clothing and be prepared to enjoy an ancient Chinese healing practice which balances and clears stuck energy. Here’s a link to over 550 medical research studies exploring benefits of qigong.
Benefits of Qigong:
- loosens muscles and improves balance
- helps prevent injury by lubricating joints, ligaments and bones
- eases stress and balances emotions
- improves breathing and heart rate
- promotes deeper, more restorative sleep
- increases blood and oxygen flow
- increases functions of immune system
- stretches and relaxes tight muscles and fascia
- increases overall energy level and metabolism
- and much, much more!
“Qigong therapy as well as other branches of Chinese medicine can be reduced to two simple principles:
- the cleansing of the meridians to achieve harmonious energy flow, and
- the restoration of yin/yang balance.”
-The Art of Chi Kung by Wong Kiew Kit
Many people think that yoga is just stretching and that they “aren’t flexible enough”. But while stretching is certainly involved, yoga is really about creating balance in the body through developing both strength and flexibility. This is done through the flow of seated and standing postures, each of which has specific physical benefits. The poses can be done steadily in succession, creating heat in the body through movement or more slowly to increase stamina and perfect the alignment of these. Classes may also include instruction on breathing, call and response chanting, meditation and intention setting for your sacred practice of yoga on and off the mat. I teach gentle hatha, yin, chair and restorative yoga.
Benefits of Yoga:
- increases flexibility
- increases muscle strength and tone
- improves respiration
- protection from injury
- improves sleep
- and so much more!
Mix qigong and yoga together and you got magic! The two practices compliment each other and students love the weaving of energy flow – they leave class with a bounce in their steps.